Pork Tamales are a tradition on Christmas Eve. A spicy pork filling wrapped in thick corn dough, traditionally enclosed in corn husks and steamed.
- 2 pkgs. BUENO® Corn Husks
- 3½ lbs. boneless pork lean
- 28 BUENO® Chile Pods (stems & seeds removed, pods rinsed)
- 5 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced OR 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. BUENO® Oregano crushed
- 5 lbs. BUENO® Masa
- 3 cups lard or shortening
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 5 tsp. salt
- 3 cups meat stock (from meat above)
- Soak corn husks in hot water until pliable.2 pkgs. BUENO® Corn Husks
- Meanwhile, place meat in large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender.3½ lbs. boneless pork
- While meat is cooking, place chile pods in another pot. Cover with water. Boil for 15 minutes or until soft. Place chile pods, 5 cups water (from water in which pods boiled) and seasoning ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.28 BUENO® Chile Pods, 5 cups water, 2 tsp. salt or to taste, 4 cloves garlic, 1 tsp. BUENO® Oregano
- Shred/cut cooked meat into small pieces. Save stock to prepare masa. Place meat and 5 cups chile mixture into pot. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, beat lard/shortening until fluffy. Combine with masa. Mix well.5 lbs. BUENO® Masa, 3 cups lard or shortening
- Mix in dry ingredients.3 tsp. baking powder, 5 tsp. salt
- Slowly knead in meat stock until light and creamy.3 cups meat stock
- Spread a 1/8 to 1/4 inch layer of masa over prepared corn husks.
- Spread approximately 1/4 cup meat mixture over masa.
- Fold longest side of corn husk toward center. Fold remaining sides and secure with corn husk strip.
- Fill a large pot approximately 1/3 full of water. Place a colander in pot and place tamales on top. Make sure water does not touch tamales. Cover. Bring water to a boil. Lower heat and steam tamales over low heat for 1 to 1.5 hours, adding water if needed.
Makes 5 dozen tamales.
Calories: 193kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 8gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 232mgPotassium: 128mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 63IUVitamin C: 0.1mgCalcium: 174mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!