Plum Pastelitos are a traditional pastry with a fruit center. They are a traditional dessert for Christmas gatherings in New Mexico. Serve warm with whipped cream or take them on a hike for energy.
Our Plum Pastelitos use dried plums but you are welcome to substitute any of your favorite dried fruits. We also like apricots!
- 1 lb. pitted prunes cooked
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter chilled
- ½ cup shortening
- 1/3 cup water chilled
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon mixed with 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Using food chopper or processor, finely grind cooked prunes.1 lb. pitted prunes
- Transfer to a bowl. Add sugar and spices.½ cup sugar, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. nutmeg, ½ tsp. ground cloves
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.2 cups unbleached flour, ½ tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. salt
- Cut in butter and shortening. Add water. Knead lightly to form a ball.2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, ½ cup shortening, 1/3 cup water
- Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF to 400ºF.
- Roll out half of dough on a lightly floured surface to ⅛ inch thick. Shape dough to the approximate size of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Place dough in lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Trim away extra dough.
- Spread filling evenly over dough.
- Roll out remaining dough and place over filling. Press edges together with fingertips or fork. Sprinkle top with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Puncture top with tines of fork in several places.½ tsp. ground cinnamon mixed with 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Bake at 400º for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares.
Makes approximately 2 dozen 2 x 2 inch, 2 oz. pastelitos.
Calories: 148kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 2gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 52mgPotassium: 152mgFiber: 2gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 180IUVitamin C: 0.1mgCalcium: 21mgIron: 0.3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!