Our Sustainability Philosophy
The Baca family of Bueno Foods believes in sustainability for the wellbeing of our planet and that of future generations. We strive to minimize our impact on the environment and you’ll see below some of what we’ve done as a company to work toward that goal.
Bueno Foods’ products and processes are inherently non-toxic and have minimal environmental effect. They do not generate air or water pollution and generate very little noise.
Bueno Foods has long been concerned with environmental issues. For years, all of the corn and wheat tortilla scraps from its operations have been given away to local livestock farmers. Chile peels and seeds have been given to local farmers in the past and, today, to local companies that make compost.
Nearly all of Bueno Foods’ product packaging is recyclable.
During a plant expansion, Bueno Foods installed waste water treatment equipment to remove food particles before its water is discharged to city systems. This was done by choice by the company (not as a requirement) at Bueno Foods’ expense.
Over the last several years, Bueno Foods has made a concerted effort to reduce its water consumption and results have been phenomenal! We have received many Gold Awards from the Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority for our efforts and success.
We did this by:
- Altering our food production process to curtail water consumption.
- Instituting water conservation awareness during our high water usage season.
- Eliminating a large majority of lawn area that was irrigated on our property.
- Installing a drip watering system for existing landscaping.
- Xeriscaping and introducing drought tolerant plants throughout our landscape.
- Replacing high-use toilets and urinals in our facility.