Our BUENO® Signature Red Chile Sauce is a traditional favorite and the basis for many New Mexican dishes.
BUENO® Signature Red Chile Sauce
Our grandmother always added a pinch of sugar at the conclusion of the simmer to enhance the inherent sweetness of New Mexican red chile.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unbleached flour
- 14 oz. container BUENO® Red Chile Puree
- BUENO® Special Reserve Puree thawed
- 14-20 oz. water depending on your desired consistency
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp. BUENO® Oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Heat olive oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat.1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Add flour and stir until golden brown, making a roux, about 2 minutes.1 Tbsp. unbleached flour
- Add red chile and water. Stir to eliminate any lumps.14 oz. container BUENO® Red Chile Puree, or, 14-20 oz. water, BUENO® Special Reserve Puree
- Add garlic, oregano, and salt. Stir and bring to a boil.2 garlic cloves, ¼ tsp. BUENO® Oregano, ½ tsp. salt
- Reduce heat and simmer with skillet uncovered 20-25 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir. Simmer another 5 minutes.1 tsp. sugar
The longer you simmer, the thicker the sauce gets. Only two ounces of this sauce provide half of the recommended daily allowance for Vitamin A.
Calories: 42kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 1gFat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0.3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 130mgPotassium: 7mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 3IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 6mgIron: 0.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!