You can use any dried fruit for these Fruit Empanaditas but prunes, apricots and peaches are our favorites. Recently, we used mango, pineapple and cranberries for a delicious twist!
Fruit Empanaditas (Little Fruit Turnovers)
These Fruit Empanaditas are little fruit turnovers that New Mexicans enjoy throughout the Christmas season.
- 1 lb. dried plums, apricots, or peaches (or a combination) cooked
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter chilled
- 1 cup shortening
- 2/3 cups water chilled
- Using food processor, coarsely grind cooked fruit. Do not puree.1 lb. dried plums, apricots, or peaches (or a combination)
- Transfer to a bowl. Add sugar and spices.1 cup sugar, ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon, ½ tsp. nutmeg, ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.4 cups unbleached flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt
- Cut in butter and shortening. Add water. Knead lightly to form ball.4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, 1 cup shortening, 2/3 cups water
- Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to ⅛ inch thick. Cut the dough in round pieces 3 inches in diameter. Roll out each round piece to about 4 ½ inches in diameter.
- Fill with 1 heaping tablespoon filling. Dip fingertip in cold water and moisten bottom half of circle. Fold dough over filling and press together with fingertips or fork.
- Place empanaditas on a cookie sheet. Puncture top of each empanadita twice with fork. Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes and at 400ºF for 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
Makes approximately 2 dozen 4 ½ inch, 1 ½ oz. empanaditas.
Calories: 247kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 3gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 105mgPotassium: 242mgFiber: 2gSugar: 19gVitamin A: 744IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 29mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!