Bizcochitos are the official state cookie of New Mexico. They are basic sugar cookies with a hint of cinnamon and a pinch of anise. In our family, we did not use cookie cutters; we hand-shaped each bizcochito into a butterfly shape.
Read more about it in Ana Baca’s Best Selling children’s picture book: Benito’s Bizcochitos.
Bizcochitos (Anise Sugar Cookies)
These bizcochitos get better with age. We like to bake them a few weeks before Christmas to have plenty on hand for Christmas festivities.
- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. BUENO® Anise Seed
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cups brandy or water
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon mixed with 3/8 cup sugar
- Cream shortening. Mix in sugar and anise.1 cup shortening, ½ cup sugar, 1 ½ tsp. BUENO® Anise Seed
- Blend in beaten egg and honey.1 egg, 1 Tbsp. honey
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with brandy. Work into a ball. Chill.3 cups unbleached flour, 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. salt, ½ cups brandy or water
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Knead and roll out on floured surface to about 1/16 to ⅛ inch thick.
- Cut by cookie cutter. Roll top of each cookie in cinnamon-sugar mixture.1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon mixed with 3/8 cup sugar
- Place on cookie sheets covered with tinfoil. Bake at 350º for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- When cookies are hot, dip again in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Substituting butter or margarine for shortening alters taste and texture of cookies. If you make this substitution, decrease liquid content. We like our bizcochitos crunchy and crisp so we roll them out thinly and double the baking time. These tricks yield a more caramelized cookie.
Calories: 310kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 4gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 142mgPotassium: 47mgFiber: 1gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 25IUVitamin C: 0.1mgCalcium: 42mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!