New Mexicans delight in natillas, which is a traditional custard, often during Lent. It's the perfect light dessert to cap off a traditional New Mexican meal!
- 1½ cups milk or milk substitute such as almond or oat milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. unbleached flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Bring 1 ½ cups milk to a boil.1½ cups milk
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks and 1 Tbsp. milk. Stir until smooth.½ cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. unbleached flour, ½ tsp. salt, 2 egg yolks, 1 Tbsp. milk
- Add sugar mixture to boiled milk. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Mix in vanilla.½ tsp. vanilla
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Refrigerate. Serve chilled.¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
Calories: 172kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 4gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.003gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 278mgPotassium: 149mgFiber: 0.3gSugar: 30gVitamin A: 162IUVitamin C: 0.01mgCalcium: 122mgIron: 0.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!