Mama’s Basic Red Chile Sauce
Mama's Basic Red Chile Sauce is our mother's basic recipe for a traditional New Mexican red chile sauce. She adds a pinch of sugar like her grandmother did.
- 1 ¾ cups water (1 ½ cup water for slightly thicker consistency)
- 1- 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Red Chile or BUENO® Frozen Special Reserve Red Chile
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. unbleached flour
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp. BUENO® Oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Heat water in saucepan over low to medium heat.1 ¾ cups water
- Add frozen red chile allowing the chile to defrost and cook.1- 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Red Chile or BUENO® Frozen Special Reserve Red Chile
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a separate saucepan over medium heat.2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Sprinkle in flour to make roux. Stir in garlic while browning roux.3 Tbsp. unbleached flour, 2 garlic cloves
- Stir simmering red chile and water into roux, eliminating any lumps.
- Add oregano, salt and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil.¼ tsp. BUENO® Oregano, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. sugar
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
Calories: 72kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 1gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 249mgPotassium: 11mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 3IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 6mgIron: 0.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!