Blue Corn Red Chile Cheese Enchiladas are a traditional New Mexican favorite. They are the perfect comfort food for vegetarians and native New Mexicans! This recipe is from the Baca family archives and a favorite for special celebrations!
These enchiladas use our finest and most premium red chile puree: Special Reserve.
Blue Corn Red Chile Cheese Enchiladas
The blue corn tortillas from the Pueblo Indian tradition in combination with red chile from the New Mexican tradition make these a special dish, unique to New Mexican cuisine.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Special Reserve Red Chile Puree
- 1 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Red Chile Puree, Mild
- 1 container water (add more if you prefer a thinner consistency)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- Dash of BUENO® Oregano if desired
- 1 pkg. BUENO® Blue Corn Tortillas
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or longhorn cheese shredded
- Enough oil in which to fry tortillas
- Heat oil over low heat. Add flour, stirring constantly until golden brown to make a roux.2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, 2 Tbsp. flour
- Add red chile and 1 container of cold water. Depending on your preferred consistency, you can add more or less water.1 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Special Reserve Red Chile Puree, 1 container water, 1 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Red Chile Puree, Mild
- Add garlic, salt, and oregano and simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes. The longer you cook, the thicker the sauce becomes.5 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, Dash of BUENO® Oregano
- In a separate skillet, heat oil. Fry tortillas one at a time. After frying each tortilla, drain on paper towel.1 pkg. BUENO® Blue Corn Tortillas, Enough oil in which to fry tortillas
- Assemble the casserole, using a 9×9 square casserole dish. Dip each blue corn tortilla in red chile sauce. Place in casserole dish until bottom of dish is covered with one layer.
- Place a generous portion of red chile sauce over each tortilla to cover the entire layer.
- Sprinkle first layer with onion and cheese. Continue to build the layered casserole with fried tortillas, red chile sauce, onion and cheese until all ingredients are used.1 medium onion, 1 1/2 cups cheddar or longhorn cheese
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Note: Blue corn is delicate and tortillas may separate while frying. No worries. Assemble as usual. Once they are within the casserole, no one will ever know! But the delicate and sweet taste of blue corn in combination with the red chile sauce make these enchiladas an example of true and traditional New Mexican cuisine. Option: Pour remainder of chile sauce over individual servings if desired.
Calories: 241kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 9gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0.04gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 684mgPotassium: 64mgFiber: 7gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 284IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 210mgIron: 0.4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!