Blue Corn Red Chile Cheese Enchiladas are a traditional New Mexican favorite. They are the perfect comfort food for vegetarians and native New Mexicans! This recipe is from the Baca family archives and a favorite for special celebrations!
These enchiladas use our finest and most premium red chile puree: Special Reserve.
Blue Corn Red Chile Cheese Enchiladas
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 – 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Special Reserve Red Chile Puree
- 1 – 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Red Chile Puree, Mild
- 1 container water (add more if you prefer a thinner consistency)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- Dash of BUENO® Oregano, if desired
- 1 doz. pkg. BUENO® Blue Corn Tortillas
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or longhorn cheese, shredded
- Enough oil in which to fry tortillas
- Heat oil over low heat. Add flour, stirring constantly until golden brown to make a roux.2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, 2 Tbsp. flour
- Add red chile and 1 container of cold water. Depending on your preferred consistency, you can add more or less water.1 – 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Special Reserve Red Chile Puree, 1 container water, 1 – 14 oz. container BUENO® Frozen Red Chile Puree, Mild
- Add garlic, salt, and oregano and simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes. The longer you cook, the thicker the sauce becomes.5 cloves garlic,, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, Dash of BUENO® Oregano,
- In a separate skillet, heat oil. Fry tortillas one at a time. After frying each tortilla, drain on paper towel.1 doz. pkg. BUENO® Blue Corn Tortillas, Enough oil in which to fry tortillas
- Assemble the casserole, using a 9×9 square casserole dish. Dip each blue corn tortilla in red chile sauce. Place in casserole dish until bottom of dish is covered with one layer.
- Place a generous portion of red chile sauce over each tortilla to cover the entire layer.
- Sprinkle first layer with onion and cheese. Continue to build the layered casserole with fried tortillas, red chile sauce, onion and cheese until all ingredients are used.1 medium onion,, 1 1/2 cups cheddar or longhorn cheese,
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts.